Re: Logging from %pre section

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 msimoni@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> John wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 msimoni@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > > I would like to write to a file (during a RH8.0 kickstart install) from
> > > the %pre section then append to this file from the %post. I have no
> > > problems appending to the file from the %post section but I could not
> > > manage to write from the %pre.
> >
> > Writing's not a problem. Careful where you write lest it get clobbered
> > later.

> Thanks for your reply but writing is a problem. This are the 3 last sections
> from my ks.cfg :
> %post
> echo "blabla" >> /tmp/ks.mylog   ->  writes blabla in /tmp/ks.mylog
>
> %post --nochroot
> echo "bla bla" >> /mnt/sysimage/tmp/ks.mylog  -> I get blabla + bla bla in
> the file
>
> %pre
> echo "from %pre to /tmp" >> /tmp/test-file -> nothing goes in  the file
> echo "from %pre to /mnt" >> /mnt/sysimage/tmp/test-file -> nothing either in
> the file

I don't have a machine to try a ks on at the moment. I expected the
first %pre to work, the second to (often) fail  (because in the second case the
filesystem hasn't been prepared yet)

I'm pretty sure  saw in the RHL 8.0 docs that you _can_ write extra
stuff for ths ks file someplace, and %include it.

Check the release notes, customisation guide and such.