Re: Starting postgresql in %post Redhat 8.0

John wrote:
On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Michael wrote:

Hi all,

I have a perplexing problem . I want to start postgresql In %post section of Kickstart, so I can connect to template1 as postgres user, add new DB users, and initialise a database (All in ks.cfg). I would also like to be able to initialise a DB from a schema once the user is created

I have done this in ks.cfg :

%post --interpreter /bin/bash
/sbin/service postgresql start
/bin/echo "CREATE USER admin WITH PASSWORD 'somepassword' CREATEDB CREATEUSER;"| /usr/bin/psql -d template1 -U postgres

However, the user is never created. I have done this:

/sbin/service postgresql start 2>&1 >/tmp/startPGresult

Just to see the result returned from the command. /tmp/startPGresult contains:

Initializing database: ESC[60G[  ESC[0;32mOKESC[0;39m  ]
Starting postgresql service: ESC[60G[ESC[0;31mFAILEDESC[0;39m]

Wonderful!! Absolutely Wonderful!!!!

Take a look at the /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql

See all the '>dev/null's? (I'm assuming they're still there!).

They are...

Take them out.

Red Hat believes people don't need the error messages postgresql
produces and sends them off to the bit-bucket.

Hmm so this breaks the start script when run from kicksart %post ??

I had a debate about this with the RHL person some time ago, and he
wasn't receptive to the idea of fixing it, so I'm supposing (without
checking) that it's not fixed.

Feel free to BZ the problem and bitch and whinge about it.

Yes, shall.

Thanks for the tip. (Grumbling about 2 days playing with said ks.cfg trying all sorts of things)

BTW, I have managed a work around of sorts. I created a rc.local during %post to run on first boot, initialise the new DB users, and restore DB schema. The rc.local them re-writes itself to be empty again (Apart from subsys lock). It worked.

Cheers,
Michael