Re: DHCP kickstart leads to bogus entry in /etc/hosts

On 19 Nov 2002, Hunter Matthews wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that when doing a dhcp based kickstart, they end
> up with an /etc/hosts with
>
> 127.0.0.1            dhcp_name localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> Our mail admin recently made a change to sendmail that caused every
> message from these machines to boucnce. I assumed it was my
> configuration of sendmail (which is the config redhat ships,
> unmodified). By looking at the machines which bounced versus which
> didn't, I eventually found this line to be the culprit.
>
> Any idea if kickstart (or dhcpcd) can be told not to do this?

The last line of the script is a dot. I think RH's mail service is
broken (use to be) and will chop it off. Nothing matters after that.

[summer@gw summer]$ cat
/var/ftp/pub/linux/RedHat/7.3/ks/postinstall/03fixhosts
#!/bin/bash
#InstallType: client server
ed /etc/hosts <<.
/$HOSTNAME/s=$HOSTNAME==