Re: Where has Tony Nugent's mini-HOWTO gone

On Wed Oct 30 2002 at 08:50, Luigi Bitonti wrote:

> Subject: Re: Where has Tony Nugent's mini-HOWTO gone

(it is back online again, but needs updating)

> --- John <valhalla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 October 2002 08:21, Luigi Bitonti wrote:
> > > http://www.personam.it/luigi/redhat-cd-howto/
> > > By the way I put in the document, links to Tony Nugent's Howto
> > > and modified versions of some programs
> >
> > Thanks for that Luigi. May I suggest that making one single
> > document out of it would be a good thing?  For anyone who wants
> > all the information you provide, I find it much more convenient
> > that way.
>
> Yes, I agree with you, but I guess we need the author's consent
> for that. Concentrating all the efforts on a single document would
> also permit providing more informations in a (probably) more
> coherent way.

I deliberately put my howto into one long document, and generally it
has been appreciated.

However, it is a large document already, I've started the process of
updating it for rh80 and oh my, it really is starting to become
unmanageable as one long hit.  I will *have* to break it up.

Actually, I've been playing around with css/dhtml, and what I'll
probably end up doing is to have a nice "pretty" topic-by-topic
version for online viewing (frame-style side menus etc, but using
div/span to avoid the ugly frame format), and then have a
"printer-friendly" version that gives it all to you one big
no-frills hit.

  (Writing documentation is certainly a bit of an art... sooner or
  later I'll have to get my head into xml/docbook and put it into
  that format - as long as there are hooks to allow me to customise
  the final output formats as I like :)

> Have a good day
> Luigi Bitonti

And thanks Luigi for your redhat-cd-howto update, it has plugged the
gap, and it is proving to be a good reference for doing my own
update efforts :)  (although I'm planning to put quite a bit more
into my new version).

Don't hold your breath for my update though... I'm working on it,
but in between other things I'm doing.  (I don't build customised
installers for a living, it is a "hobby interest" nowdays).

Cheers
Tony