Re: Compiling modules for kickstart

I am in the middle of trying to compile the e100 module for the RedHat 7.1
2.4.2-2 kernel.  It is my understanding that you do not need a BOOT source,
all you need to do is copy the BOOT config file to the kernel source
directory as show in step 4 below (someone please correct me if I'm
wrong!!!).  Below are the steps I am attempting to use in order to compile
my e100 module under the BOOT kernel.  I won't make any promises about them
as I'm still in the learning
process too   :-)

1.  Install the BOOT kernel RPM (kernel-BOOT-2.4.2-2.i386.rpm)
2.  Install the kernel source RPM  (kernel-source-2.4.2-2.i386.rpm)
3.  Boot into the  BOOT kernel  (uname -r  shows 2.4.2-2BOOT)
4.  cp  /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/config/kernel-2.4.2-i386-BOOT.config
/usr/src/linux-2.4.2/.config
5.  then do a 'make clean' and a 'make dep' in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.2
directory
6.  change directories to my e100 source code and change the KSP define in
the Makefile to the following:
KSP  :=  /usr/src/linux-2.4.2
7.  Compile the driver and install the resulting module into the
initrd.img.

                    Torvald Baade
                    Bringsvor                    To:     "'kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx'" <kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
                    <Torvald.Bringsvor@er        cc:
                    go.no>                       Subject:     Compiling modules for kickstart
                    Sent by:
                    kickstart-list-admin@
                    redhat.com
                    No Phone Info
                    Available

                    10/10/2002 09:59 AM
                    Please respond to
                    kickstart-list

Hello.

Basic question here, but where can I get the source of the 2.4.18-3BOOT
kernel that redhat uses on its bootdisks? I'm trying to compile the e1000
module (still) and have been running into problems with running a module
compiled for regular 2.4.18-3 with the bootdisks (loads of missing
symbols).

-Torvald