Re: parsing the comps file

The number at the top of the file (4 in your case) is the version number of
the comps file.

A '1' in front of a component means it is selected by default.  A '0' is
not selected by default.

                    "Aaron Bennett"
                    <abennett@xxxxxxxx>          To:     <kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                     cc:
                    kickstart-list-admin@        Subject:     parsing the comps file
                    redhat.com
                    No Phone Info
                    Available

                    09/25/2002 01:23 PM
                    Please respond to
                    kickstart-list

Hello --

I'm writing a cgi script that generates a customized kickstart
configuration file.  I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about parsing
the comps file?

It's a pretty simple file to parse.  Something as simple as

egrep '^[0-9]' will give the toplevel tags, but I'd like to be able to
generate a list of optional, default, and required top-level packages.
Is there a document somewhere that describes the file format?  I'm
unsure what the various numerical tags represent.

For example,

The first line of the file contains "4" with nothing after it.  What
does this mean?

Some of the various top-level groups are denoted with 1, some with 0...
etc.

1 Base { ....

}

0 KDE {

}

What do the numerical tags represent?

Thanks,

Aaron Bennett

PS.  As this kickstart web interface progresses towards usability, I'll
be glad to distribute it to interested parties if there is an interest.