Re: Providing information during kickstart installations

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 23:00, Werner Puschitz wrote:
> I want to create a Kickstart boot floppy disk for our admins where
> they only have to provide the static IP address of the new server, the
> IP address of the default gateway, and the name of the server. Everything
> else should be done/configured automatically.
>

> If I don't configure the network in ks.cfg, it defaults to DHCP.
> If I just make the entry "network --device eth0 --bootproto static"
> in ks.cfg, it gives an error and starts to ask me what kind of
> installation methods I want to use etc.
>

> What is the best approach solving this problem?
>

> Is there no flag I can pass to the network parameter in ks.cfg which says
> that this information has to be provided by the user?

If you do what you propose installing RHL on a lot of boxes might be a tad
slow.

Look more closely at DHCP. If you issue long leases it's pretty similar to
static IP without the administrative overheads.

If you don't install many systems, you could give them a floppy that gets the
ks file from your server, and you customise the ks file(s) on demand.

You might also consider using DHCP to facilitate the install, and then require
the admins to use the standard configuration tools post-install. That way
they could configure them at their convenience. Installing could be as simple
as

a) Boot from floppy
b) Remove floppy
c) Repeat a) and b) as necessary for more computers
d) Go home.
e) Fix'em in the morning.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.