RE: PXE+DHCP/BOOTP+Kickstart problem

I ran into a similar problem here.  If you're using a switched network,
and you are connected to Cisco Switches, then you might be running into
the same thing I did.  Cisco Catalysts have a feature called 'Spanning
Tree', where the switch broadcasts your mac address and figures out
shortest route, etc etc.  This will take about 5-10 seconds, depending
on the network.

Some network cards will bring the interface up and then down multiple
times during the initial phases of a kickstart (sis 900's are bad about
this), and so your port on the switch spends most of it's time in the
Spanning mode, where it can't forward any packets, and so your kickstart
times out before it can get a valid DHCP request through.

You can tell if this is your problem by checking out where the port your
plugged into terminates, and seeing if the status LED for that port is
amber, then change to green, then back to amber, and so on.

If this IS the problem, speak to your network admin about turning on
portfast for the ports you're trying to use to kickstart off of.  This
solved the problem, for me, but be away portfast has it's drawbacks too.

Chris Meisinger