RE: 8GB is not enough space in / partition

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 14:41, Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 05:55, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > for reasons that escape me at the moment, the new red hat limbo
> > recommends 75M for /boot -- apparently, there's something else
> > that will potentially reside there, but i don't recall what it is.
>
> Oh that's just great.  So all those of us who have been making 20MB
> /boot partitions will be pretty well screwed...  Sorry, this is OT here;
> I guess I should join the limbo list.

The reason we bumped the warning level for /boot is that over the span
of a release cycle, there will be a number of kernel errata released.
And since up2date doesn't actually remove old kernels, it's better to
make sure you have some extra room there.  Also, the UML kernel is about
30 megs, so it takes a significant chunk of space if you install it.

The 20 meg part is just a warning to help people from shooting
themselves in the foot for later.  /boot on my laptop is only 24 megs so
it's definitely not a hard requirement :-)

Cheers,

Jeremy