Dependancies that exist but "rpm -i" still complains...

We have a locally generated RPM that is complaining about missing libraries (dependancies) that exist:

    %1  rpm -i bcf-isp-jdk-1.0-2.i386.rpm
    libodbcinst.so   is needed by bcf-isp-jdk-1.0-2
    libodbc.so   is needed by bcf-isp-jdk-1.0-2
    %2  ls -l /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so /usr/lib/libodbc.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov 21 2001 /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so -> libodbcinst.so.1.0.0* lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Nov 21 2001 /usr/lib/libodbc.so -> libodbc.so.1.0.0*
    %3  rpm -qf /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so /usr/lib/libodbc.so
    unixODBC-devel-2.0.7-3
    unixODBC-devel-2.0.7-3
%4 rpm -ql unixODBC-devel-2.0.7-3 | egrep '/usr/lib/libodbcinst.so|/usr/lib/libodbc.so'
    /usr/lib/libodbc.so
    /usr/lib/libodbcinst.so

Does anyone have a clue why this would happen? This RPM was generated on the same machine that we are trying to do the install (though ultimately we have the same problem on other machines - which is actually the whole point of its generation).

I ask this in part because I've seen this before with other RPMs (ones we did not generate) and could not seem resolve the issue. Note that we DO NOT want to use "--force" or "--nodeps" (I have seen "--nodeps" not work either for these sorts of things anyway for some reason).

Please also note this dependancy was generated automatically by the RPM build - we did not ask for it. It would be nice if you could turn off such build dependancy checking along with the automatic "strip" etc. The strip for instance can add a lot of unnecessary time to a build of a large package.

As a final note, this RPM will install just fine as part of a kickstart but when manually installed it will not. Clearly some different logic exists between the two.

Thanks in advance,

			- Matt

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Manager of Networking                           Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
TEL: (603) 448-4100 xt 5150                     USA
FAX: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx