Re: Keeping systems up to date?

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 11:17:09AM -0600, Erik Williamson (erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I realize that this may be slightly off topic for this forum, but I
> figure that those who are interested in mass-deployment methods are also
> interested in ways to keep all their systems up to date, as well as
> having methods to push out new packages, etc.  If you know of a better
> place to post, I'm all ears!
>
> I'm about to begin a 7.3 roll-out here, to over 100 machines which serve
> as anything from print servers, to graphics workstations.  In the past
> I've used autoupdate on a server
> (http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gerald/ftp/autoupdate/) coupled with a
> rather large script which would copy over various config files, other
> tarballs, etc. to the client machines.  I'm in the process of dreaming
> up a slightly different approach now - but...
>
> I'm wondering what the rest of you do - If there's one magical solution
> for this!  I'm really interested to know what the rest of you have come
> up with.  Maybe with a bit of collaboration we can come up with
> something.

I use APT to keep all Linux machines here updated.  I've setup my own
local APT repository just for convenience but you can opt to use one of
the public ones.  Each night a cron job runs APT to update all RPMs.

Relevant URLs:
http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/
http://freshrpms.net/apt/

I'm extremely happy with it.  It also makes installing new RPMs easier
since APT will locate, download the RPM, resolve dependencies, and
install it for you with one simple command: apt-get install <package>.

To keep configuration files consistent on machines I use cfengine.
cfengine is a powerful tool that can synchronize files, permissions, and
run scripts. http://www.iu.hio.no/cfengine/

--
Amy Tanner
amy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx