Re: dhcp problem with 3C905C Kickstart?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:11:37PM -0700, Dave Mangot wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I'm trying to kickstart a bunch of boxes with a RH 7.3 Kickstart
> machine.
>
>    I've tried to do this on multiple boxes we have with the same
> hardware.
>
>    They are generic dual processor boxes with 2 hard drives and a
> Serial Console card.  The motherboards are Tyans with built on
> Ethernet.
> (I can supply the whole boot litany if necessary).

  <snip>

> Why is it trying to load 3C59x when it says the
> card is a 3C905C?

That is the name of the driver.

Is the switch a Cisco switch? If so, you'll have to set the Spanning
Tree Protocol (STP) on the kickstart ports to "portfast".
Here's a snippet from a howto on the 'net:

    Setup 'spanning-tree portfast':
    Without this option, DHCP may fail because it takes too long for a port
    to come online after a machine powers up. Do not set spanning-tree portfast
    on ports that will connect to other switches. Do the following on each
    port on your switch:
    cisco> conf t
    cisco> int Fa/1
    cisco> spanning-tree portfast