RE: Intel Pro 1000 woes (DHCP)

on a secondary note (and btw, thanks Scott), does anyone know if there is
anything different about the way the Poweredge 1650 or the Intel Pro 1000
broadcasts for dhcp?  A dhcp broadcast is a dhcp broadcast right?

The issue is that I am doing kickstarting in a network with multiple vlans;
routing is handled on an internal router.  ip helper and ip
directed-broadcast have been enabled.

When I start a 1650 with the kickstart disk, it starts looking for dynamic
ip, but never gets one.  When I run tcpdump on the dhcp server, I never see
the broadcasts from the 1650.

So, network problem right?  So I thought, but then I decided to take a
PowerEdge 2550 (with Intel 10/100 onboard for eth0), and plug the 1650's
network link into this box, just to see... and it worked perfectly!  The
2550 broadcasted for an IP, showed up on the dhcp server, and got an ip...

So, maybe the interface on the 1650 was not being configured by the
kickstart disk right?  Wrong!  I ran a crossover cable from the 1650 to the
dhcp server and it was able to successfully get an ip address...

So, the only thing I can think of is that there is something different about
the way the Pro 1000 card is broadcasting such that the broadcasts are not
being propogated through the switch or the router because they are different
in nature that the broadcast from a standard 10/100 interface...  but that
really doesn't make much sense to me...

anyone see any similar problems?

- Jay