From: James S. Martin [mailto:james.martin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 4:41 PM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Duplex Setting with Network Driver

Some of the modules have parameters that you can enter in the
modules.conf.  I'm not sure if this exists on the initrd.

Here's an example of my /etc/modules.conf.

alias eth0 e100
options e100 e100_speed_duplex=4

That sets the duplex to 100/Full when it loads.

You can generally find these options in the modules source code if they
aren't apparent.  What specific NIC are you using?

James

Buro, Nicholas F wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am using the "tigon3" or "tg3" network driver on our severs, apparently
> the driver only supports options using a utility like "ethtool." The
problem
> that I am running into is that our network ops require that we "force 100
Mb
> full duplex" on our network cards in the data center to guarantee proper
> configuration. But when using kickstart, the driver is loaded and wants to
> auto-negotiate, and unfortunately tries to use 100/Half. I tried putting
the
> ethtool binary into the initrd so I could execute it in the %pre section
of
> the kickstart, but unfortunately the %pre section is executed after it
> downloads the netstag1.img. Does anyone know of a way to execute this
before
> it retrieves the stage1 image, or are  there any options I can pass
> /sbin/loader?
>
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> --Nick

> Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that
may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete
it.