initrd not being created during custom kickstart procedure

I have an HP LP1000R that I am trying to load RedHat 7.2 on. I am using a custom ks.cfg to reduce a number of the packages installed. I have also merged the set of Errata updates into the image. The Installation data is being served via NFS to the client.

Here is the rub. If I install this on an IBM Mpro machine it works fine. If I install it on the LP1000R it does not boot again and I notice that /boot/initrd-2.4.9-31smp.img is missing all together. If I perform a complete (Everything) install on the HP it boots and works just fine.

It seems to me that anaconda is not correctly running mkinitrd on the system and never gets it installed properly.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen this before?

Lew Newby