Re: using driver from drvnet.img

If you have an existing bootloader on the system, you can use it to load one of the larger boot images that have more drivers (such as the one used when the cd boots). This is handy, and it is probably easier than building a custom bootnet.

To do this:
1. get the files initrd.img and vmlinuz from the dosutils/autoboot directory of the distribution. Copy them to /boot as initrd-anaconda.img and vmlinuz-anaconda respectively.
2. copy your ks.cfg to /boot as well
3. modify your bootloader to boot this kernel and initrd, with kernel arguments "devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=7168 ks=hd:DEVICE/PATH" where DEVICE is the device that /boot lives on (e.g. sda1,hda2) and PATH is the path to the kickstart file relative to the device.

For example, if you are using lilo, and /boot is its own partition (sda1), you would add the following to /etc/lilo.conf:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-anaconda
        label=anaconda
        initrd=/boot/initrd-anaconda.img
        append=" devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=7168 ks=hd:sda1/ks.cfg"

and possibly change "default=" line to point to this entry.

Amy Tanner wrote:
I'm trying to kickstart some boxes that have an integrated Compaq
network card.  Using the standard bootnet.img file, the kickstart does
not recognize the card.  From another working Compaq box, I've deduced
the driver I need is the tlan (Thunderlan).  I see it exists in the
drvnet.img.  What's the EASIEST way to get the kickstart to use the tlan
driver?
Thank you.