Re: "required" kickstart directives

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Paul A Sand wrote:

> > > I read it as "required for the installation to complete without
> > > errors".
> >
> > after a careful reading of the docs, it appears that "required" means that
> > that directive must either be in the ks.cfg file, or the install will
> > prompt for it.
>
> I don't know if that's it either. Look at the "mouse" option.
> (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html)
>
> It's marked "required". The documentation claims that if it's
> omitted (or supplied without arguments), "the installation program
> will attempt to autodetect the mouse." So--ahem--is it *really* required?
>
> I think the bottom line is that the docs can be confusing.

if *anyone* has a spare machine and wants to test what happens if you

1) leave out the "network" directive entirely, and
2) put in the sole directive "network" with no args

i'd be delighted to know what the result is.  yup, i agree -- the docs
can be confusing.  time to learn python so i can read the source, i guess.

rday