From: Richard Wilson [mailto:RWilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 8:35 AM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Install for modified/recompiled Kernel-Newbie

Current Scenario:

I'm using kickstart to install about 60 machines that are part of a batch
processing system. There are also another 20 or so machines that are for the
development environment and there should also be a QA environment. Think
over 100 machines that may require rebuilding whenever there are major
modifications, or we inherit newer equipment. So far so good, kickstart has
been the greatest thing since sliced bread. The installs happen over NFS
with a boot floppy and everything has been fine.

Because the batch processing system relies heavy on NFS mounts from a Sun
server I'm being told that I need to recompile my kernel on all current and
future machines.  These modifications are to intended to sync  the page
sizes for both the Solaris and Linux boxen.

Hoping for some recommendations on how to used a different kernel that the
one that ships on the CD. So far it seems like I have two options.....

Should I figure out a way to do this during the install via modifying
anaconda settings? [1]
Or should I cp the recompiled Kernel via NFS and then hack at the grub
config files while in the %post% section?

Also, is there any recommendations for a good book/docs that I should be
reading about the internals of kickstart? Already read the kickstart-how-to.

[1] Probably cleaner, I'm a total newbie in this area.

Thanks in advance

		Richard