Re: request for clarification: Redhat 7.3, FTP/iso install?

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 13:11, Brian K. Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I'm tripping on some of the lingo here.  In the FTP section of
> the install manual, it shows a picture of the FTP dialog screen where
> you can enter the name of the server and the directory containing the
> 'Redhat files for your architecture'.  Simple 'nuff - been there,
> done that.
>
> However, it says on the bottom - in a 'Tip', that:
> You can also install Red Hat Linux using ISO images without copying
> them into a single tree by loopback mounting them as:
> disc1/,disc2/,disc3
>
> What exactly does that mean?
> Can someone clarify this a little?  How do you 'loopback mount'
> something that's across the network, over FTP?

Rather than expanding or burning ISO to CDs you simply mount the ISOs as
if they were disks and thus only have a single copy of the files on the
installation server.  You're not mounting the ISOs on the system being
installed, rather in your case it'd be on the FTP server.

to mount said image for testing or whatever

        mount -o ro,loop <name of image> <place to mount>

-Chad-