Re:Re: e1000 module installation weirdness

Hi all,

I am having a similar problem. I am trying to create a lights-out
installation environment for RH 7.1 on some Dell PE-1650 servers, dual
CPU machines with Intel e1000 Pro network adapters. Unfortunately, the
suggestion below does not appear to work for me. I am using a boot
floppy based on the standard bootnet.img. I have added the e1000.o
module to the /tmp directory in the initial ramdisk, as well as adding
the appropriate lines to pcitable and modules.conf. When I boot with the
command line "ks", it first presents me with a menu of drivers to try;
when I choose the Intel 1000/PRO Gigabit driver, insmod fails with the
incredibly enlightening error message "%m". :P

Having to use the supplemental driver disk sort of defeats the purpose
of the lights-out installation. Has anyone got an e1000-based machine to
perform a succesful network install from a single floppy, and if so,
how?

I was thinking it might be worth it to try to make a new bootnet
installation disk based on a more recent kernel, say the 2.4.9-31BOOT
errata kernel. Is this likely to work?

r.