Re: rpm4.0.4 statically linked - why ?

You don't have an extra 9MB?  You have bigger issues!  :-)

I've had to upgrade rpm before, in many earlier versions of redhat,
though I haven't done the upgrade you describe.  One reason I didn't
is because rpm is generally a pain in the groin to upgrade, because
it causes an endless chain of upgrades.  The fact that it's now
statically linked makes this problem completely go away.  I once
requested this on the Redhat-list -- that was long ago.

I think one value add it offers aside from ease of upgrade is ease of
maintenance of other tools that utilize it -- namely the up2date
tools.  There may be more tools that use rpm in the pipeline that we
don't know about, so the other benefits may not be so clear.

If you need 9MB of space, there's bound to be tons of stuff on the box
you don't need that you could erase.  Run rpm -qa and see what all is
there, and make a priority list.  You *could* also keep your software
on some other machine on the network that has a lot of disk and mount
/usr/local via nfs on the box with no disk.  That'll save you a
significant amount of disk space.

good luck

--

Brian K. Jones