superseding RH %config files in a kickstart installation

I'm looking for info regarding what the right way to approach system
configuration after the rpms from 'vanilla' redhat-7.2 have been installed.

Consider for example the NTP package, which has a number of config
files that are marked in the spec file with %config(noreplace). I want to
replace the provided /etc/ntp.conf with 'my' config file:
 - making sure I can install via kickstart (ie, no --nodeps or --force used)
 - making sure a future update of the ntp rpm doesn't reverse my config file

What's the best way to accomplish this ?
 - roll my own rpm with the same files marked %config(noreplace) then
     manually move foo.rpmnew into place as a postinstall step in that rpm ?
 - stream-edit the existing files on the fly in postinstall ?
 - something else ?

I guess I'm looking for what the best practices people have come across
might be, with any pros+cons they've learned the hard way that might
be worth passing along.

Thanks.

--
---------- vince.skahan@xxxxxxxxxx --------------