Re: Wrong Kernel Installed

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 09:21:04PM -0800, Brett Schwarz wrote:
> I created my own customized CD based off the RedHat CDs. Basically, I just
> cut it down to 1 CD, and added the errata updates. It has been working
> very good except for one complaint. Someone tried to install it on a DELL
> Latitude laptop, but after the kickstart install, the kernel*SMP* was
> loaded as default. Has this happened to anyone else before? Is it maybe
> something I could have done in the kickstart file and/or customized CD? Or
> does the RedHat installer just make a mistake once in a while??
>
> thanks,
>
> 	--brett

For RH7.1, I think it detects whether the system is SMP capable, and if it is,
installs the SMP kernel.  This happens, I think, in the isys module of
anaconda, which is written in C.  Install the anaconda source rpm and look at
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/anaconda-7.1/isys/smp.c .

You can see what isys says by booting the Latitude, installing the anaconda
rpm (you may need to install the anaconda-devel rpm, too) and doing:

cd /usr/lib/anaconda
export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/usr/lib/anaconda
python
>>> isys.smpAvailable()

It reports 0 for non-SMP and non-zero if it thinks the machine is SMP
capable.

--Seth