From: Frans Lawaetz [mailto:frans.lawaetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 9:09 AM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: e1000 module installation weirdness

Hi all,
I've slugged at this for a full day and simply can't find a solution.  here
goes..
I have a bunch of machines with Intel Gigabit cards that I'm trying to
kickstart to 7.2.  The regular bootnet.img disk does not contain the e1000.o
module needed for these NIC's, but the additional driver disk "drvnet.img"
does.  The module contained there *will* load if I manually swap disks and
tell the install to look.
To get the e1000 module onto the regular bootnet.img disk I did the
following... First, the usual routine of gunzipping initrd.img, and then
gunzip&cpio the modules.cgz included within.  I removed a few networking
modules that I didn't need, and added e1000.o that I took from the
supplemental network driver disk.  I carefully copied and pasted the
definitions from modinfo on the NIC driver disk to module-info on the
bootnet.img disk (yeah, i dunno why the driver disk's module info file is
called 'modinfo' while the other is 'module-info') and did the same for the
pcitab file.  I then cpio'd, gzip'd everything back together and made myself
a new boot floppy.
End result? The kickstart process fails to load the module and doesn't
provide much more information than that.  It will display the module name as
a potential choice in the list, but obviously fails again if selected.
So why is it that it fails here, but when I hit F2 and try the same module
from the supplemental driver disk it works?!  (Unfortunately, I have to get
everything on one disk as none of these machines have monitors or are
KVM'd.)
Thanks in advance for any help!

Frans