interesting problem

Hi,

We have several possible classes of kickstart installations.  Any box
can be either a client-desktop machine, an admin-workstation, an
X-server or client, etc., etc.

I maintain the kickstart trees (which I took over maintenance of when
I was hired here).  I'm quickly finding that consolidating or
removing files that are generally copied from the kickstart tree to
the install client would be a very good thing - assuming nothing
breaks.

Two chief candidates are the passwd and shadow files.  Depending on
the type of machine it is, the shadow and passwd files can come from
different 'Prototype' directories.  I'd like to get rid of these
files altogether as far as the kickstart tree goes (along with the
/etc/group file), but I'm wondering if this might cause issues with
missing uid's or gid's, or, even worse, if I might later on
mistakenly replace a user's uid with, say, a future service's uid.

If anyone is managing a slightly more complex kickstart environment
that might have some tips for me, I'd be very happy to hear them.

Thanks,
--

Brian K. Jones
System Administrator