Re: How do I mount the initrd.img file in linux?

If you run

file initrd.img

You'll see that it's a gzipped file. So you could do something like this:

mv initrd.img initrd.img.gz
gunzip initrd.img.gz
mount -o loop initrd.img /some/mnt/point

(Is there an option for gzip to not worry about gz extensions when uncompressing?)

But that should do it. You can then cd to /some/mnt/point and browse the image, make modifications, etc. When you're done, you can unmount, gzip, and rename and you should be set.

-- Dan Hanks