Kickstart (for 7.2) (via ftp) failure...

Hi,

I'm new to the list... I've looked in the archives and haven't seen anything
covering my situation, so I hope this is the correct place to ask for help
on it.

I'm trying to create a floppy that will kickstart a 7.2 distribution.  I did
this by dd'ing bootnet.img from the 7.2 CD to a floppy, then modifying the
syslinux.cfg to make 'ks' the default (and just to be on the safe side, in
my case, only) option.  I created a ks.cfg file using the ksconfig app and
copied this to the root directory of the boot floppy.  This all seems to
work as is evidenced by the fact that changes I make to the ks.cfg do alter
the results I see in the install process.  However, the actual install does
not work.  Here is the ks.cfg I am using:

#Generated by Kickstart Configurator
lang en_US
langsupport en_US
keyboard us
#mouse generic3ps/2
mouse none
timezone --utc America/New_York
rootpw --iscrypted $1$3iTÞÝ.zE$2k9ofwOl93MGNnLzFzp7S.
reboot
text
interactive
bootloader --useLilo --linear --location=mbr
install
url --url ftp://ftp.redhat.com/
clearpart --all --initlabel
part / --fstype ext3 --size 500
part  swap --size 2000
part /usr --fstype ext3 --size 2000
part /var --fstype ext3 --size 1000
part /home --fstype ext3 --size 1 --grow
#/part / --fstype ext3 -size 1 --grow
#network --bootproto dhcp
#network --bootproto static  --ip 10.15.2.19  --netmask 255.255.0.0
--gateway 10.15.2.1  --nameserver 10.15.2.56 --hostname temp.cyveillance.com
network --bootproto static  --ip 10.9.10.120  --netmask 255.255.0.0
--gateway 10.9.4.1  --nameserver 10.16.1.31 --nameserver 198.6.1.3
--nameserver 198.6.1.4 --hostname DHCP-10-120.cyveillance.com
auth  --useshadow  --enablemd5
firewall --high
#Do not configure the X Window System
skipx
%packages
@X Window System
@Network Support
@Messaging and Web Tools
@NFS File Server
@Windows File Server
@Anonymous FTP Server
@Web Server
@Router / Firewall
@DNS Name Server
@Network Managed Workstation
@Emacs
@Utilities
@Software Development
@Kernel Development
%pre
echo PRE-INSTALLATION WOULD GO HERE
%post
echo POST-INSTALLATION WOULD GO HERE

If I include the --hostname option to the network command I get this almost
immediately on the main virtual terminal once the screen turns blue:

install exited abnormally -- received signal 11
sending termination signals... done
sending kill signals... done
disabling swap...
unmounting filesystems...
/proc done
/dev/pts done
you may safely reboot your system

I transcribed that from the screen since I cannot cut/paste it, so any
errors in it are probably mine.  Also, FWIW, it actually comes out looking
as if it has only newlines with no carraige returns creating a pyramid
effect.  I lost that look in the transcription.

Anyway, the second VT should have a bash shell if I'm not mistaken but
apparently it doesn't get that far .... trying to switch to it fails (it
just stays on whatever VT you're already on).  The next VT has what I'm
guessing is the output of loader, and it looks like so (again, transcribed
by hand, hopefully accurately...):

* 126784 kB are available
* going to insmod cramfs.o (path is NULL)
* going to insmod ide-cd.o (path is NULL)
* going to insmod sd_mod.o (path is NULL)
* looking for usb controllers
* no usb controller found
* probing for floppy devices
* first non-detactched floppy is fd0
* system floppy device is fd0
* going to insmod fat.o (path is NULL)
* going to insmod vfat.o (path is NULL)
* kickstart file copied to /tmp/ks.cfg
* probing buses
* finished bus probing
* found suggestion of pcnet32
* found pcnet32 device
* found devices justProbe is 0
* going to insmod pcnet32.o (path is NULL)
* kickstarting through device eth0
* netDev->dev.hostname = DHCP-10-120.cyveillance.com
* nodns is 0
* setting ks specified hostname of DHCP-10-120.cyveillance.com

The last VT has a normal kernal dmesg type of output, loading the ramdisk,
initrd, mounting root, setting up the pcnet32 ethernet driver, etc.  If it
would be helpful to have a transcription let me know.

Things to note:
1. Yes, I am running under VMware but i get the same results from the same
disk booting directly on a machine only with the eepro drivers instead of
the pcnet32 drivers and 2 gigs of ram instead of 128m).
2. Yes it looks like I'm trying to use a DHCP assigned address dynamically
but it is one that is reserved for this purpose and is not in use.
3. If I do not set the hostname in the network command, it tries to find
them, fails, and then does the same thing.

The non-VMware machine I've tried this is a dual 700mhz VALinux box.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem, or, short of that, how
I might go about getting more information on what anaconda or kickstart or
whatever is doing right before it fails?  It would be nice if there was a
way to see the exact commands it was running on get a verbose log of things
it was trying... I thought the interactive flag might help with this but it
doesn't seem to affect anything at least insofar as I get.

Thanks,
-
John