Re: compaq pxe boot with kickstart...

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, pierre-yves.verdon wrote:

> > At work we build CD's by puting the ks.cfg into the initrd. Maybe you
> > could work on this principle and build the ks into the initrd.img and
> > bootstrap from there ?
> >
> > I have not tried this but it sort of makes sense. I seem to remember
> > you can pass the ks parameters via dhcp.

> i can put the syslinux.cfg in the initrd.img too, this way no need to
> pass ks parameter via dhcp, but, what should i do to begin the kickstart
> installation?
> which parameter do you pass for ks when you boot from a cdrom for
> install?

Heya,

I ran into the same problem and ended up giving up on Intel's pxe
stuff.  I decided to head back to pxelinux (part of the syslinux
package) as it was simpler to setup (you don't have to jack around
with mtftp and the pxe daemon... just use bootp via dhcpd) and it
uses the same file format as syslinux so I didn't have to change
anything other than locations of kernels and initrds.

I'm currently using version 1.65 (http://syslinux.zytor.com/), but
the 1.52 version that RH shipped with 7.2 works as well.  Check
out the *.doc files, and you should be good to go.

--
Kelley Spoon                                        Main: 210-892-4000
Rackspace Managed Hosting                            Fax: 210-892-4329