RE: 7.1 nfs install requires DHCP?

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Peter Matulis wrote:

> Thanks for this Carl.
>
> For myself, I was trying to store the ks.cfg file(s) on the NFS server.  You
> definitely require a DHCP server to lease the client an address in order to
> connect to the NFS server.  Putting the ks.cfg on the floppy provides this
> instead.

Peter--

How are you starting the kickstart process?  Do you use a netboot install
floppy where you enter the command:

  linux ks=nfs

If so, according to the document:

  Red Hat Linux 7.1: The Official Red Hat Linux Customization Guide
  Chapter 2, Kickstart Installations
  (http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.1-Manual/custom-guide/
     ch-kickstart2.html)

explicity says that DHCP is used to configure the ethernet card.  I
believe that this is _only_ for kickstart and that the "network"
directive in ks.cfg takes over, but that doesn't help you out of your
predicament.

I now dimly recall that we switched to putting the kickstart config file
on a floppy precisely for this reason--we didn't want to put all of these
machines into DHCP....  We still want to install over NFS, so we put the
CD contents onto a NFS server and specify the installation method as "nfs"
in ks.cfg.

Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx