Re: thoughts on kickstart

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 20:40:51 -0500
Erik Troan <ewt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While kickstart could be called immature, it's hardly new. It's been around
> for 4 years (maybe more), and we have a number of folks using it in reasonably
> large implementations. Backwards compatibility is, and will remain, important.

Could I also ask for kickstart to be more friendly for foreign keybords?
While in kickstart installation, the keyboard in always "us" and this
makes it difficult if we have to act in screen 2, for example, or
enter any info interactively.
As this is not the case in manual install, I assume that anaconda, while
using kickstart method, doesn't take into account parameters during the
install itself but just transmit it to the installed configuration.
And effectively, the keyboard is well configured after kickstart installation.

My ks.cfg file contains:
keyboard fr_CH-latin1

Should I report this in bugzilla?

Sharing some experience.
We use kickstart since 2.5 years so that users can install a standard
configuration suitable for our site.
This is documented in french http://slpc7.epfl.ch/ForLinuxline/kickstart-7.1/
and filling a form is as simple as this:
	http://slpc7.epfl.ch/cgi-bin/kickstart-7.1/ks_questions.pl
(you will not be able to execute it, as it is protected for our site,
but the result is a page where the user can download his private
disket to install what was requested).
Postprocessing is basicaly for network and software server configuration
adapted to our site.

The other drawback of new versions is that, not only does kickstart
rules change a little from one version to the other but more
important, the software changes names, etc.
So we are always late to have kickstart installation ready when a new
redhat version arrives.

A documentation for package name replacements would be very helpfull,
as the packages that we select is none of the standard redhat category
but a mixture. And a clean documentation of differences in kickstart.

In the way we use kickstart, the backward compatibility is not necessary,
as long as the documentation is clean.

Thanks for kickstart which is certainly helpfull.

				Anne
--
 Anne Possoz   Service Informatique Central Tel : (41/21) 693.22.49
Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, 1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)