RE: thoughts on kickstart, again :-))))

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:

> You have to get the fixed loader in the initrd.img if you want your ks.cfg
> file on the cdrom.  I posted the fix and the loader a week or so ago, so you
> can get it from the archives.
>
> Forrest

sorry if this is an obvious question but which archives are you
talking about?  i wouldn't mind seeing that.

also, since i seem to have provoked this thread, let me explain what
i'd like to see (and, failing that, what i plan on writing).

as much as i was carping about the syntax of the kickstart file, i
think it's, for the most part, self-explanatory, and the docs that
come with red hat 7.2 are pretty darned good.  so i don't think there's
any real need for extra docs for the ks file itself.

what i *do* want to see is a HOWTO for the different ways to *use*
the ks file, in increasing order of complexity.

first, you can just add it to a boot floppy and boot with

  boot: linux ks=floppy

next, you can customize the boot floppy by editing syslinux.cfg
and changing the default boot string to *be* "linux ks=floppy"
so you don't have to type anything.

after that, showing the different ways to set up an installation
server and ks install using NFS, including how to set things up
on the server end.

and after that, building your own installation CD(s) with a custom
boot floppy image so that you can simply toss in a CD, reboot the
box and it does a CDROM-based ks install right from there.

you get the idea -- the ks file is not what needs the extra walk-
through documentation.  it's all the different ways you can *use*
one that needs to be in a single doc somewhere.  does such a doc
exist?  and if not, i plan on writing one.

rday