Re: couple questions about ks.cfg entries

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Tammy Fox wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 09:57:53PM -0500, rpjday wrote:
> >
> >   first, what is an "interactive" install?  i'm guessing that it
> > means, if i skip specifying some option (such as mouse type), i'll
> > be prompted for it.  is this correct?
> >

> No. interactive means that it will prepopulate the screens with
> the values from your kickstart file, but you will have to confirm
> your choices by clicking Next at each screen. It is really for
> debugging.

(rather than post several smaller messages, i'm going to try to summarize
a number of issues i have with kickstart.)

1) first, is this the right place to discuss "ksconfig" since, even though
it's related to kickstart, it may be an independent utility?  i'll
bring up a few issues with it anyway, but i'm prepared to be told
this is not the right forum.

2) i like the idea of the interactive install, but it brings to mind
something i ran into in a version of kickstart in a previous version
of red hat.  i was trying to do a kickstart install on a machine
that i did *not* want any networking config on, so i just left out the
"network" directive.  to my surprise, the kickstart install stopped
at the network config screen and insisted i enter something.  it was
happy if i stated that i didn't want any networking and continued.

only after trial and error did i figure out that, to bypass networking
configuration, i had to put in the single line "network" with no
arguments.  that wasn't documented anywhere, and i'm wondering if
this is still true.

more to the point, this leads to a larger, philosophical issue ...

3) if i simply want to skip a particular feature of configuration,
should i expect to simply leave out that directive from the kickstart
file?  this appears to be the case, *except* when it comes to configuring
X, where you explicitly have to say "skipx".  why the difference?
why must i *explicitly* say i don't want to configure X, when for
almost everything else, i just don't put in the appropriate directive?
this is an inconsistent design.

on the other hand, what if i want to set up a kickstart file in
which i deliberately *want* to be prompted for mouse info, for
instance?  or any other option.  is this supported?

i guess what i'm thinking is that, for most ks.cfg directives, there
should be three choices:

 a) don't configure *at* *all*
 b) configure with given values
 c) prompt me for this directive

perhaps every directive should have a "--prompt" option that will
explicitly require user intervention.  in that case, the rather
odd "skipx" directive would no longer be necessary.

4) regarding LDAP selection, i did finally notice in the docs that
--enableldap and --enableldapauth mean different things, but in that
case, why does ksconfig not distinguish between them?  if you can
specify one without the other, then ksconfig should give you that
freedom.  currently, ksconfig enters either both or neither, and
does not distinguish.

in a more general sense, if ksconfig is to be useful, shouldn't it
support as much flexibility as the underlying config file it is
building?

5) regarding ksconfig again, there is nothing in the package selection
dialog that allows one to add individual rpms.  this is inconsistent,
since the firewall dialog allows you to add individual ports at the
bottom.

6) once again, in ksconfig, the langsupport does not support selecting
more than one language, even though that option certainly allows it.
"langsupport" should be supported by a checklist, not a drop-down menu.

7) finally, the way option values are specified in ks.cfg are not
done consistently.  consider just two of them, both under "auth":

  --nisserver
  --ldapserver=

why does one use a blank as a delimiter, while the other uses "="?
clearly, both need an accompanying value, so why the differing
aesthetics?  this is a source of potential confusion for people
new to designing a ks.cfg file.

  anyway, i'm pretty sure i have more issues lying around here
somewhere if you want to hear them.

rday