  $Date: 2000/03/02 16:28:37 $ $Revision: 1.34 $

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/RedHat
-CD-HOWTO.html

Don Bodle
The Reynolds and Reynolds Company
Platform Development
Phone: (937) 485-2954

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Rouch [mailto:cdvr@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 2:24 PM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: ks documentation and some questions

Hello,

Is there any documentation (official or otherwise) for the server side of
the
kickstart install? By this I mean details on how to customize installs,
include updates, burn new cd's and so on. google finds bits and pieces, but
I've yet to find anything like a howto (yes, I've seen the kickstart howto,
but that doesn't really cover customization).

I'm aiming towards a customized cd, with a bunch of non-redhat rpms as well
as all the latest updates. I've mostly worked out how to do this by trial
and
error, but I'd like to be sure I know what I'm doing before I start turning
CDs into coasters.

I copy all the rpms that I want into a .../RedHat/RPMS directory.
I run genhdlist - Can someone tells me what this does? I've read that I need

to run it, but I'd like to know why.
I edit .../RedHat/base/comps and take out all the rpms that I'm not going to

install. I'm surprised that I need to do this, but if I leave them in, even
the language specific ones, then I get a traceback once anaconda starts.
I add my rpm bundles.

I then install over nfs and 20 minutes later have a working system. So far
so
good. Now I want to turn it into a cd. I modify ks.cfg so that it installs
from cdrom rather than nfs.

Do I put ks.cfg in the root directory of the cd or somewhere else?
Should I use boot.img or bootnet.img to create the cd?
Is this how to make the cd image?

mkisofs -b boot.img -c boot.cat -o /tmp/custom72.iso -r -T \
        -p cdvr@xxxxxxxxx -P www.redhat.com \
        -A Custom_7.2 -V RH7.2_CR .

To boot, is it "linux ks=cdrom" or some other incantation? And is it
possible
to make this the default, so I can just power on and walk away?

Any help, comment or pointers to online docs will be greatly appreciated

Thanks and regards,

Chris Rouch