Re: Kickstarting Compaq systems?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Claude Johnson wrote:

> Has anyone successfully kickstarted a Compaq server with a
> Smart Array 5i RAID controller? I haven't yet figured out the
> magic incantation for specifying the devices to the part
> command, and so I keep getting dropped into Disk Druid.
> Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions are welcome. The crontroller
> uses the cciss driver.

I have done five Compaq DL380 systems with an Integrated Smart Array
controller (but I forget the exact model of the controller).  I put this
in my ks.cfg file:

# P R E - I N S T A L L A T I O N   C O M M A N D S
%pre

# create the disk device
mkdir /dev/ida
mknod /dev/ida/c0d0 b 72 0
mknod 660 /dev/ida/c0d0

# partition the disk
# don't erase existing Compaq diagnostics partition
echo | fdisk /dev/ida/c0d0 <<EOF

followed by the fdisk commands to partition the disk.  I had to figure out
the device name and fdisk parameters by manually installing RedHat Linux
once, and using fdisk rather than Disk Druid to partition the disk.

Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx