Re: Remote kickstart from harddrive

Eric Doutreleau wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Bret Hughes wrote:
>
> > I am looking for a solution to remotely installing a redhat-7,1 or
> > possibly 7.2 if I can get some testing cycles on 20+ identical redhat
> > 7.1-xfs machines.  These machines are bigtime inaccessable and have no
> > floppy or cds.
> >
> > I can boot the kernel from my kickstart disk via lilo but it jumps
> > directly into a text mode install at the select lang. dialog.
> >
> > As near as I can tell what is happening is the syslinux.cfg file is not
> > seen and thus the append statments passed to the kernel via the
> > syslinux.cfg are not sent.  I have the ks.cfg in /ks/ks.cfg in
> > initrd.img.
> >
> > Googleing for syslinux stuff it appears that syslinux only works from a
> > fat partition.  Is this the case?
> >
> > If so can I simply put the append stuff in lilo.conf and rerun lilo?
> >
> > And finally, how do I specify the ks.cfg loacation?  Is
> >
> >    append ks=file://ks/ks.cfg initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount
>
> Hello
> I do that but with an NFS server.
> It s very useful to update remore machine.
> Here s the kick section of my lilo.conf
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz.kick
>         label=kick
>         read-only
>         initrd=/boot/initrd.img.kick
>
> append="ks=nfs:installtux.int-evry.fr:/var/ftp/pub/ks/elaphe/ks.cfg"

Thanks Eric that is exactly what I was hoping for but better.  Does this
append statement do what I think it does, namely get the kicKstart config
file of an nfs server?  I had no idea that was possible but it makes sense
since I am doing a nfs install anyway.

Thanks again I am off to test right now.

Bret