Re: driver disks

Ok... I think it will work....

Note, I was doing this on a 7.0 install.  It seemed to work fine, but the
install died and spit out a traceback.  Oh well... I can worry about that
later.

Right now I have to do this for a 7.1 install as well, which is what I am
working on.

First issue:  How do I keep it from doing ANY x configuration at all.

Leaving out the X config lines simply drops me out of the automated
install and into the X config portion. then returns to teh automated part
after I have manually configured X.

I still havent found a switch or bit of code that will tell the installer
to completely skip X configuration.  Also, I need it to completely skip
even identifying the video card (On my test machine, with no X config
options set in ks.cfg, it first pops up a dialog that gives the make and
modle of video card, with OK and BACK buttons, then returns to the
automated stuff, and then drops out again to configure X.

any thoughts?

Next issue...  I think I ahve this one worked out.  I put in some %post
commands to run ncftpget to install some post install rpms.  that didnt
work.  I think it will work fine with

# rpm -i ftp://ftp.server.com/pub/rpms-to-install

but I cant test that until the current round of tests is done on that
machine.

so I am not really worried about that one at the moment.  The big thing at
the present time is getting it to skip X completely during install.

Oh... and on a side note,

I know that when you are setting partitions with part you can assign
--grow to make one grow to fill disk.

Can you also specify partitions with a percentage of disk space instead?

that way, no matter what size disk is in the machine, the installer will
always give / 25%, /hom 25%, /usr 35% and /var the rest ( after setting
definte sizes for /boot and swap, of course).

or should I just stick with three partitions (boot, swap, and /) and set /
to grow?

And what about making it automatically recognize two or more disks?...
Hmmm wonder if i could make it manually set up a software raid of two
disks...  that would probably be more trouble than it is worth...

any way, thats enough to chew on for now.

cheers
and thansk Erik!
jeff