Re: lvm in kickstart?

--- dwittenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Anyone using LVM in kickstart to setup root or other
> partitions on lvm?
>
> Dan
>
> --
> ========================
> Daniel Wittenberg
> System Administrator
> University of Iowa
> http://dan.its.uiowa.edu

Yes.  But for a non-root, non-/usr partition.

To get this to work, I unpacked the 2.4.2 kernel
source rpm which came with RH 7.1.  I created
a patch.  I ran the patch against the BOOT
config file.  The patch is attached to this email.
I did:

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpm -bb --target=i386 kernel-2.4.spec

This rebuilds all the 2.4.2 RedHat kernels.  Depending
on the speed of your system , this will take a while.
Then, I did:
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        48747 Sep 21 03:49

cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/
rpm2cpio kernel-BOOT-2.4.2-2.i386.rpm |
cpio -imudv '*lvm*

The lvm module for the 2.4.2 boot kernel was under
the current directory, in:

./lib/modules/2.4.2-2BOOT/kernel/drivers/md/lvm-mod.o

I copied lvm-mod.o somewhere onto my boot CD-ROM
and into the NFS hierarchy I used for over-the-network
installs.  In a post-install script, I manually
insmod'd the lvm-mod.o.  I also compiled and included
the lvm utilities on the CD-ROM and in the NFS
hierarchy, too.  Beware that the LVM in the 2.4.2
kernel is 0.9.1-beta2; you'll need to get that version
or a compatible version of LVM utilities for this to
work.

What I could not figure out was how to modify the
module ball, modules.cgz, which is in the stage2.img
filesystem in RH 7.1.  Yes, I know, Erik Troan of
RedHat has told us that all we need to do is
run buildinstall.  However, I'm a little reluctant
to run that without fully understanding it, and I
haven't had the time to dig all the way through it
yet.

--Seth