Re: Building a merged 7.1 distribution (with updates)

On Mon Sep 03 2001 at 21:12, "A.J. Werkman" wrote:

> >This results in a message during install something like:
> >Warning - not all packages in hdlist had order tag
> >
> >The source to genhdlist (in anaconda-runtime) indicates an option --fileorder
> >but I think it needs to read a file from somewhere.
> >(Attempting to use it with an empty file using:
> >/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime/genhdlist --hdlist /tmp/hdlist --fileorder
> >/tmp/H /mnt/redhat/redhat-7.1/i386
> >results in different hdlist & hdlist2 files).

My esperience is that if the installation doesn't completely fail
with anaconda errors when doing it from cdrom disks, I'm asked for
disk1, then disk2, then disk1, disk2 again... a total pain in the
butt.  The --fileorder parameter is obviously the secret, but how to
use it?

  I've been buring (mainly as a side-line) updated installation
  disks for redhat since rh5.0, but the *pain* I've experienced with
  building customised updated installation disks for rh7.1 has me
  back doing installs the ugly way... using the original distro
  images, then doing freshens on the system from a directory full of
  updates (eg, from a kickstart %post script).

  I'd like to go back to producing install disks with updates in
  there already... but it seems that I have to learn how to use
  whatever magic is in anaconda to do it so that it works nice and
  clean as it should.

  (Truth is that I've been too busy with networking and sysadmin to
  have had much time to look at anaconda - it is relatively new.
  And unless I've missed something, not well documented.  And I
  don't want/need to specifically modify the installer, I just want
  to easily prepare install disks and nfs images that contain the
  update rpm releases).

> >Installs from both types give the warning and both seem to have succeeded.
> >
> >Does this matter?
>
> I have seen this too and I am also curious what it implies.
> I haven't found any problems on installs with my newly composed disks.
>
> Koos.

Cheers
Tony