Re: Updated "Kickstart from PXE" How-To

> So much for this :-((
>
> The URL is
> 	http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw/PXE-Kickstart

nice write up. I've done something similar but different in a few key
ways.

1. I'm using tftp to pass the vmlinuz and initrd from the pxe.conf file
   and not from dhcpd.conf file
2. in dhcpd.conf i'm putting the next-server==place to get the ks.cfg and
   filename =/path/to/ks.cfg

so a typical dhcp/pxe entry looks like:
host mypxehost {
        hardware ethernet 00:00:00:00:00:00;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.2;
        next-server install-server.mydomain.com;
        filename  "/path/to/and/filename/of/ks.cfg"
        option dhcp-class-identifier "PXEClient";
}

then the pxe.conf file has the boot images in the /tftpboot path and the
pertinent parts are like this:

[Service_Types]
# format: number, name
#
# number, order they will be passed through 0,BStrap should be first no
# matter what (afaict)
# name - the name of the dir under /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI that the boot
images
# will be.
0,BStrap
1,kickstart

# Image file name for Linux install boot server type
# so the file names will go from linux.0 to linux.2 and it will traverse them
# in that order
[X86PC/UNDI/kickstart/ImageFile_Name]
0
2
kickstart

The comments are mine b/c the pxe.conf is almost entirely undocumented and
I had to read the pxespec to figure them the hell out.

then the tftp automatically gets which ever of the type of installs you
get (it grabs the files named kickstart.[012] in order and then does
whatever they want you to do.
kickstart.0 is a bootstrapper that is built with pxe - it also passes
            kernel options (like ks=/path/to/etc :)
kickstart.1 is the kernel from the bootnet floppy
kickstart.2 is the initrd from the bootnet floppy

This has worked very well for us.

if anyone is interested I'd be glad to post my pxe.conf file for this.

-sv