RE: Installation via DHCP/BOOTP

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, A.J. Werkman wrote:

> At 22:16 13-06-2001 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >What I'd like to be able to do, is set some kind of installation method
> >where the install files (RedHat/base/*, RedHat/RPMS/*) are already
> >available... ie, it doesn't need to use NFS, FTP, HTTP, CD-ROM, HD to get
> >the files, because they're already there.
> >
> >In other words, my NFS root can just contain the entire RedHat tree, and
> >the installation just needs to know where to find it.
>
> You say you use the bootnet.img. Shouldn't you use the boot.img disk
> in this case. I have never used the option, but as far as I know the
> installation option 'harddisk' gets its source tree from under the
> root tree.

The "harddisk" installation option expects to find the RedHat tree on a
partition on a real harddisk.  Keep in mind the root filesystem in use
during the installation is not on the harddisk, it's on a RAM disk (or in
my case it's an NFS filesystem).

When you select the "harddisk" installation method, you're asked for the
disk and partition that contains the RedHat tree.  The installation
process then mounts this as a directory under the RAM disk root
filesystem.

For the installation I'm trying to do, the RedHat tree is already on the
root filesystem, so nothing needs to be mounted.  Problem is, I don't know
how to tell the installation process that it doesn't need to do anything
special to access the RedHat tree.

The alternative solution is that the installation can go ahead and get the
installation from NFS, FTP or HTTP, but it doesn't need to start the
network.  In this case, I haven't figured out how to prevent it from
trying to start the network.