Re: 3COM 3c905C and Kickstart

This affects DHCP and a number of older mac protocols. If you look carefully
at the logs, here's what seems to happen

client send dhcp request via broadcast to 0.0.0.0
switch sees that 0.0.0.0 and does not seem to run spanning tree on it
dhcp server sees request, does an offer
client tries to switch to the IP in the offer to send a confirm back to
  dhcp server
switch sees new ip at that port, runs spanning tree all over again.
clients response back to server is never seen, as it disappears in the
  spanning tree timeout.
Since the client can't confirm, it never comes up.

The full spanning tree can take anywhere from 15-30 seconds here. (2900's)

We've simply turned spanning tree off - our configuration is simple enough
and static enough we don't need it.

In the past what we had done was just gone ahead and configured ports 1-22
or so as portfast, and left the last 1-2 ports alone, and used these one
or two ports as uplink ports.