Re: >really< hands-off install

On Thu, 24 May 2001, David T-G wrote:

> Hi, folks --
>
> I'd like to know if there's a way to do a completely hands-off kickstart.
> I know that it is likely to be tricky to get a PC to boot from its
> network card, so I could go the kickstart floppy route, and I even think
> that I can pull the floppy as soon as things are going (say, after a
> minute or two when I hear the hard disk churn away; a whole load takes
> less than 10 minutes from power-on to "hit OK and remove your media").

You can just get it to boot anaconda off the harddrive.  loopback mount
bootnet.img, copy the kernel and initrd into /boot, then make a lilo
target that uses them.  Boot that target and it will be just like you
booted the bootnet floppy, but you won't have to worry about removing
the floppy.  (plus it will load faster if you say store the kernel and
initrd somewhere so you don't have to keep pulling them off floppy)

> It's the "remove your media" part that bugs me; I have to have a keyboard
> in place in order to hit the space bar to tell the box to go ahead and
> reboot.  How can I (perhaps in %post) tell the box to not wait for me but
> to bounce itself as soon as it is done with the load?

Add 'reboot' as one of your kickstart.cfg options and it will
automatically reboot for you.

I've seen large computer labs that are setup like this, with the
'reinstall' target put into lilo in the %post on the installs.. so a
reinstall of the lab is just a matter of sshing to all the boxes (easily
automated with an expect script) and running 'lilo -R reinstall' then
'reboot'.  It's quite nice.