RE: a bunch of newbie questions.

> Thanks for your reply, see inline comments/question:
>
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:
>
> > > Pardon me if these questions have been asked already.
> > >
> > > I can easily get around all of these problems by cleaning up
> > > in %post, but
> > > I'd rather not have to:
> > >
> > > 1.  How do I stop the installer from installing a whole
> crap load of
> > > packages I DID NOT specify?  Like sendmail, kernel-pcmcia, perl,
> > > linuxconf....
> >

> > Look in the RedHat/base/comps file on your medium.  That
> specifies which
> > files will be installed.  There are several headers (like
> GNOME, Printer,
> > KDE, etc.) which you can specify that will add certain
> packages.  The first
> > list (Base) will be put on every system that you install.
>
> I was under the ?mistaken? impression that the packages I
> have listed in
> my ks.cfg file would be the ones that are install.  You are
> saying this
> isn't true?

I am saying that what you specify in the ks.cfg file is in addition to the
Base files.  For example, the kernel-pcmcia is getting installed (even
though you do not specify it in ks.cfg) because it is part of the Base list
in the comps file.

> > > 2.  How do I tell the installer that I want my interface to be
> > > ONBOOT="yes"?
> >

> > I'm not sure what it is that you want here...
>
> currently inside of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> ONBOOT="no" which means the interface isn't "upped on boot.

So you are saying that when you install, the Ethernet card is not activated?
You can specify which options to give it in the network section.  I have
network --bootproto dhcp, which gets a dynamic IP address.  You can specify
the IP address (--ip), gateway (--gateway), nameserver, and netmask if you
do a network --static.  E.g.:

network --bootproto static --ip 10.7.89.123 --gateway 10.7.89.1 --nameserver
10.7.89.254 --netmask 255.255.255.0

> > > 3.  I rolled my own iso using the redhat install cd.  I
> > > removed all the
> > > RPMS that I won't be installing.  Will this cause me problems?
> >

> > After you add or remove programs (or change the comps file)
> you must run
> > genhdlist on the directory, before you make the iso/burn the cd.
> >

> I will keep this in mind, which package is genhdlist from?

It depends on which system you are installing...
Redhat 6.2--in the misc/src/anaconda/utils directory on the CD
Redhat 7.0--part of the anaconda packages