Re: Starting Telnet and Wu-ftpd using kickstart

You shouldn't copy telnet into the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory. Telnet
and ftp are controlled by the xinetd service. Remove telnet from
/etc/rc.d/init.d. The file /etc/xinetd.d/telnet should look like

service telnet
{
	disable	= no
	flags		= REUSE
	socket_type	= stream
	wait		= no
	user		= root
	server		= /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
	log_on_failure	+= USERID
}

The disable = no will explicitly tell the xinetd service to allow telnet
sessions. Restart xinetd with the command /sbin/service xinetd restart
to enable the change. Try to telnet to your system and see what happens.
You will not see the telnet process when you do a "ps" unless you have
an active telnet session open. This is how xinetd works. It only starts
the individual daemons such as telnet and ftp when they are needed. I
hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Sincerely,
Tammy Fox