Re: Kickstart questions

On Monday, November 20 2000, Matt Fahrner said:

> How do you make it so kickstart/install doesn't install RPMs listed in
> the "comps" file simply by alphabetic order? We have our own company
> specific packages that we've prefixed with "bcf" that we add to the
> "@ Base" section. However, regardless of where we put them in the
> "@ Base" section because they start with "b" they load earlier than most
> packages, some of which they depend on. We've taken to renaming them
> "zbcf" (eg: zbcf-commoncron-1.1-1.i386.rpm), but that's ugly. Is there a
> better way?

If your rpm requires that a package be installed prior to it being
installed, then it must have a Prereq: set for the needed package.  A
prereq will ensure that the packages get installed prior to instead of
just in the same RPM trasnsaction set.

> For our office users we want to load "Everything" (this will get them to
> shut up we hope) however since "Everything" pulls all the packages in
> the "RPMS" directory regardless, this causes it to load all of our "bcf"
> packages even though some are intended only for very specific systems
> (we still want to install them under kickstart, just different kickstart
> systems - we use the same install base for our store systems as our
> office systems).
>
> Getting to the point, it would be nice if you could do something like:
>
>    %packages
>    @ Everything
>    ! somepackage
>
> where "! somepackage" means "exclude the package `somepackage'" (ie:
> delete it from the list of packages selected). This would also help when
> you want to exclude a package from the "@ Base", which sometimes you do
> (for instance there is a class of systems that we create where we do not
> want to put on the C compiler for security reasons).

Base doesn't include the compiler and in fact doesn't include much
beyond the bits necessary to satisfy common dependencies.  If you're
really concerned, then I'd probably explicitly specify each package I
want installed instead of leaving anything to chance (/ or modify the
comps file with custom package groups).  Alternately, file a request for
enhancement in bugzilla.

Cheers,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx	| jlkatz@xxxxxxxxxxxx

QOTD:
The meek shall inherit the earth; the rest of us, the Universe.