Re: kickstart and RH6.2

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Gerd Raether wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
>    Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:05:41 +0200
>    From: Thomas Mandl <Thomas.Mandl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>    part / --size 6666 ---> max. size of the / partition and this causes the
>    error. reserve some space (e.g. 8-16MB) and make this partition (or
>    others) only 6658MB large, then disc druid (or whatever is used during
>    anaconda installation) has some 'room' to allocate on correct cylinder
>    boundaries. The kickstart install will *silently* fail if your disc
>    layout is 'incorrect'. The interactive installation using fdisk or disc
>    druid will warn you in this case, and you can correct this problem, but
>    kickstart simply bails out.
>
>    I hope Red Hat will provide better ks installation features in the
>    future!

thanks for your feedback!  We do appreciate it ... kickstart has been
an advanced feature set for the anaconda installer, with it's share of
rough edges, but we are working to make it better ... and hopefully the
6.2 -> 7.0 improvements address some of the important concerns ...

> I had similar problems in the past, so I like to put the emphasis on the
> last sentence. I was about to point to this problem when I read your first
> mails, but your errors occured already before the partitioning starts.
> Therefore I guessed that something else than sizes are wrong.

If there is anything "irregular" about partitioning information provided,
kickstart balks and brings up disk druid explicitly ... I agree that there
could be better warnings as to the problem nature, but this fallback to
interactive partitioning allows the install to continue
(almost!) painlessly ...

> I wrote a perl sript which generate a ks.cfg from another config file.
> This also calculates the partitions given the disk size and
> a "distribution function". Here I had to lower the disksize somewhat to
> that what I have determinded with fdisk.
> Therefore the distribution function was convenient. If anybody is interested
> I can send this meta-perl-kickstart-config generator...

sure ... I'd like to see it ... :)

regards,

brock
Brock Organ		QA Engineer		borgan@xxxxxxxxxx
Red Hat, Inc. - 2600 Meridian Pkwy Durham, NC  USA - 919 547 0012 x422
I WAS NOT THE INSPIRATION FOR "KRAMER"
I WAS NOT THE INSPIRATION FOR "KRAMER"
I WAS NOT THE INSPIRATION FOR "KRAMER"
I WAS NOT THE INSPIRATION FOR "KRAMER"

	Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 5F18