Re: kickstart and RH6.2

Hi List,

first of all thanks for your response. I was able to solve the problem
on my own now, but i think it's worth mentioning what the problem was.

First of all ks installation is different (or has other/more
bugs/features) in RH6.0/6.1/6.2

My problem was that i specified a disk partition which caused anaconda
to silently bail out (without errors or warnings. Not even in the
<ALT>-F2-F5 screens! (mkkickstart also fails!!!)

When i installed the machine for the first time i did a manual disk
layout and recorded the partition size/locaten and re-used this in the
automatic installation. THIS WAS THE FAULT!

I recogniced, that disc druid (during interactive installation)
allocates (or tries to allocate) more space for a partition (depending
on the cylinder boundary???).This is also true for the automated
kickstart installation (whatever is used to do the partitioning ...)
E.g. telling disk druid to make /boot 16MB resulted in a 23MB partition

So here is my solution:

clearpart --linux

part /boot --size 16

part / --size 6666 ---> max. size of the / partition and this causes the
error. reserve some space (e.g. 8-16MB) and make this partition (or
others) only 6658MB large, then disc druid (or whatever is used during
anaconda installation) has some 'room' to allocate on correct cylinder
boundaries. The kickstart install will *silently* fail if your disc
layout is 'incorrect'. The interactive installation using fdisk or disc
druid will warn you in this case, and you can correct this problem, but
kickstart simply bails out.

part /var --size 1024
part /tmp --size 512
part swap --size 512
install

I hope Red Hat will provide better ks installation features in the
future!

best regards
Thomas

P.S.: Has anybody found an elegant way to merge updates *.rpm (e.g. also
new kernel updates) to an existing CD-ROM installation image. So the
installed machine will get updated automatically. I hacked/modified the
perl script printed in the Kickstart-HowTo, but it's not perfect
(currently i have not enough time ...)
--
Thomas Mandl

System, Network & Security Admin  phone:   +43 1 877 56 45/53
Thomas NEUROTH Ges.m.b.H.         fax:     +43 1 876 49 20
Hietzinger Hauptstrasse 22        e-mail:  Thomas.Mandl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
A-1130 Vienna/Austria             NIC-HDL: TM4373, TM539-RIPE