Re: Adding modules to modules.cgz

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Eric Gibson wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 10:23:05AM -0500, Jacob Woltersdorf wrote:
> > I've got the small problem of trying to kickstart a machine with the
> > ks.cfg file on a SCSI harddisk.  This would work if using boot.img, but
> > I'd like to use bootnet.img since it already has all the NIC modules.

[...]
> I usually try to refrain from posting content free messages, but I
> had the same exact problem as you and tried the same solution and I
> was never able to get it to work. Even when I mirrored the exact
> same setup for another net driver and just added the scsi driver and
> re-cpio'd it, it just would't work.

The SCSI driver needs to be present in the second stage image.
For 6.2, this appears to be in RedHat/instimage, other versions (inlcuding
7.0) use a second stage floppy image.

Since most of our kickstarts are done using NFS, I just yanked the
bootnet.img file, jammed a new syslinux.cfg in there to tell
anaconda to use NFS to grab the ks.cfg file, and made sure that all
required SCSI modules were present in the second stage installer (the
floppy only needs eth modules for our setup).

Quick'n'dirty HowTo:

Assume our NFS dir tree is in /kickstart/rh62/RedHat

  1) mkdir /tmp/kernel
  2) cd /tmp/kernel
  3) rpm2cpio /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/kernel-BOOT-X.Y.Z-r.arch.rpm
  4) cd ./lib/modules/X.Y.Z-rBOOT
  5) for i in `find -name "*.o"; do mv $i .; done
  6) get rid of all the dirs if you want...
  7) cd ..
  8) find ./X.Y.Z-rBOOT | cpio -H crc -o | gzip -9 > modules-all.cgz
  9) cp modules-all.cgz /kickstart/rh62/RedHat/instimage/modules/modules.cgz

For convience, I go ahead and copy the module directory you get in step 6
to instimage/modules.

Also, if you're adding in support for a new card, you'll need to figure out
the PCI info and wedge it into the pcitable file.

On a side note, this is _precisely_ why I asked about the driverdisk option
and NFS yesterday.... setting all this stuff up sucks, and it'd be hellah
simpler to use Doug Ledford's Module Devel kit to make a driver disk for
any new hardware than remaking the kernel RPM and making sure you wedge
everything into the right place.  I'm hoping to test this out later on
tonight or this weekend.

Take it easy,

--
Kelley Spoon