Re: Help request for an article comparing Func with other open source solutions

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 14:57, Mike Maughan <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello!

I'm an editor at Colo & Cloud (coloandcloud.com), and I'm putting together information to make a chart that compares and contrasts Func, Salt, MCollective and RunDeck.

I'm a big fan of the open source eco system, and am trying hard to not show any solution in an unfair perspective.  I'm writing the user group forum here to get help with answering, in one or two sentences, the following criteria for Func:

1. Integration with existing management tools

There are several tools built around Func, such as Taboot and OpenSymbolic . (https://fedorahosted.org/func/wiki/KillerApps).

2. Programming interface

 Because Func's functionality is designed to be utilized both from the cli and a python module (https://fedorahosted.org/func/wiki/PythonApiExamples), it is readily integrated into python tools.  The data returned by Func via the cli is parse sable by other languages.

3. Scale it can handle

I'm not sure what scale others have, but I work with several hundred systems in our environment.

4. Ease of deployment

Depending on how complex of an environment and if you are willing to use the default hostname, setup can be quite easy.

https://fedorahosted.org/func/wiki/InstallAndSetupGuide

1: configure 'certmaster' hostname in your domain
2: install overlord and start
    a. install rpms
    b. open port in firewall
    c. (optional) adjust settings
    d. start certmaster
3: Install minions and start
    a. install rpms
    b. open port in firewall
    c. (optional) adjust settings
    d. start funcd

and you are done.

5. Features offered

* lots of existing modules https://fedorahosted.org/func/wiki/ModulesList
* extensible via new modules https://fedorahosted.org/func/wiki/HowToWriteAndDistributeNewModules
* SSL encryption of all traffic
* cli for simple usage
* python api for more complex scripting
* delegation of authority (tiered overlords)
* minion to minion authority model (all systems can potentially talk to each other, authority is still definable with ACLs)
* asynchronous calls for longer running tasks
* ability to utilize puppet's ssl certificates
* more https://fedorahosted.org/func/

6. User culture (i.e. sys admins, developers, etc.)

Quiet at the moment.

Thank you - everyone - for your input and consideration.  Once I compile all of the data for the various solutions I'll post the chart on Colo & Cloud.

Anyone else care to add to this?