Re: certmaster w/o func, issues & patches

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 10:50 -0400, Hans Lellelid wrote:
> Hi -
>

> We're looking at using certmaster without func (for now, anyway) as a
> very lightweight development PKI solution.  Basically we want to be
> able to request certs automatically (we use Puppet) and ensure they're
> signed by something we trust.  Certmaster sounds perfect.

okay - that's fine - but you do know that puppet has its own CA built
in, too, right?

puppetca does just the same thing certmaster does.

func even has a mode to use the puppet certs.

> I've run into a few stumbling blocks along the way that I wanted to
> mention; I think the appropriate places for most of this is the issue
> tracker, but figured I would start with an email.
>

> (1) The certmaster daemon segfaults on CentOS 5.6 using the certmaster
> 0.28-1 package from EPEL.  This appears to be happening in the
> create-cert step, since the ca key exists but no cert.  Anyway,
> SSL/pyOpenSSL seems to be a likely culprit. Anyway, I haven't
> investigated further, because I rebuilt the RPM for python27 (we are
> using python26 from epel and our own python27 epel-based packages) and
> that worked fine.

known - the new pyopenssl should have fixed it.

> (2) The certmaster-sync triggers that are installed/enabled by default
> by the RPM implicitly require func.  This breaks for us, obviously.
>  (I realize that cermaster-sync is the culprit here, so if that is
> supposed to work without func, that is probably the problem; if that
> is a func tool then it probably shouldn't be enabled by default.)

hmm - that's a disentangling that would be useful.

> (3) We'd really like to be able to specify the hostname when calling
> certmaster-request, since we have many hosts which have multiple
> interfaces / IPs (e.g. SSL vhosts) for which we'll want certs.  I made
> a patch in our RPM process to add this feature (add optparse +
> --hostname param).

I'd be interested in seeing that patch.

> There are some other changes we made to the SPEC file to sort of
> "best-practicize" it, I'd like to contribute all of this back up for
> consideration.  Should I just create a ticket in Trac and attach the
> patches there?

Or post your patches here.

-sv